― Learn from Nature, and Create Living Materials ―
Polymer gel is categorized as soft & wet materials the same as biological soft tissues. We focus on
- understanding the principles of emergence of excellent function of biological soft tissues from a material science standpoint.
- creating artificially excellent soft & wet materials having soft tissue-like functions.
The ultimate goal we set as our research objective is:
- developing super-strong and high-functioning gels compared with soft tissues of the body such as muscle, cartilage, and tendon
- applying in a variety of scientific fields, including medical fields
We are involved in the following studies.
- Creating a highly strong, highly tough, and highly viscous hydrogel having a hierarchically-ordered complex structure, and unraveling the principles of emergence of function
- Studies on surface friction and lubrication of hydrogels and creation of super low-friction hydrogels
- Creation of a novel hydrogel as cell scaffolds and its application in cell differentiation induction
- Creation of a functional hydrogel in using motor proteins and its application to biomachine
- Application of hydrogels as artificial cartilages, muscles and blood vessels
- Studying on the adhesion of barnacles, and developing hydrogels with antifouling function against barnacles