Hokkaido University Faculty of Advanced Life Science Lab of Soft & Wet Matter
Div Soft Matter IGP usefulinfo

Graduate Admissions for International Students

LSW at Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan~We belong to here

International Applicants Useful Information---Last updated on March 8, 2019

The academic year begins in April or October and ends in March or September, and admission examinations will take place in August, October (only for Master's), and January.
Here are some tips for prospective international students. Learn about applying for admission, student life, and more.


Applying for admission (Dates & deadlines)
Finances for international students
Passports & visas
Living & Housing

Applying for admission

Applying for Graduate Admission

For information on graduate application and admission, see the Division of Soft Matter website at https://life.sci.hokudai.ac.jp/en/sm

Check with the Graduate School of Life Science website for detailed information (submission deadlines for your application form, academic records and other supplemental materials, and so forth). Guidelines for Admission are available at http://www.lfsci.hokudai.ac.jp/en/admission_information/

Submission of the application form and supporting materials is only the first step to entering Hokkaido University. Not all applicants can be admitted. You should not come to the University until you receive your official letter of admission and your Certificate of Eligibility.

When to Apply for Graduate Admission:
[Divison of Soft Matter]
・Master's Course
Spring Semester 2020/Fall Semester 2019: Register online/File by email July 8 - 12, 2019 (pre-application for international students abroad)
File by paper no later than July 22, 2019 (international students abroad)
File by paper July 16 - 22, 2019 (international/Japanese students in Japan)
Spring Semester 2020 : File September 26 - October 1, 2019 (online application for international students abroad and standard application for domestic students)
Spring Semester 2020 : Register online/File by email November 28 - December 4, 2019 (international students abroad only)
File by paper no later than December 13, 2019 (international students abroad)
File by paper December 9 - 13, 2019 (international/Japanese students in Japan)
*Overseas students are required to apply online first, and then submit application materials by mail.

・Doctoral Course
Spring Semester 2020/Fall Semester 2019: Register online/File by email July 8 - 12, 2019 (pre-application for international students abroad)
File by paper no later than July 22, 2019 (international students abroad)
File by paper July 16 - 22, 2019 (international/Japanese students in Japan)
Spring Semester 2020 : Register online/File by email November 28 - December 4, 2019 (international students abroad only)
File by paper no later than December 13, 2019 (international students abroad)
File by paper December 9 - 13, 2019 (international/Japanese students in Japan)
*Overseas students are required to apply online first, and then submit application materials by mail.

How much to pay for application fee, enrollment fee, and tuition fee:
・Application fee: ¥30,000
・Enrollment fee: ¥282,000
・Tuition fee: ¥267,900 per semester
*subject to change

Waiver of Fees

Students supported by the Japanese Government scholarships are exempted from application fees, enrollment fees and tuition fees.

Finances for international students

Educational and Living Expenses

The chart that follows provides the estimated average fees and expenses for the 2007-2008 academic year (12 months) for a graduate living in University housing. It is provided only as a guide. Actual costs for the next academic year will vary and fees and expenses are subject to change.

Graduate Costs for Academic Year, 2007-2008
Tuition Fees¥540,000
Books and Supplies¥120,000
Living (incl. Room and Board)¥600,000- ¥1,140,000
National Health Insurance/Accident Insurance¥20,000
Total Average Estimated Costs¥1,400,000-¥1,940,000

Figures for fees, books and supplies, living expenses, personal/transportation expenses and total expenses represent averages at LSW.

In general, tuition fees must be paid at the beginning of each term.

Figures for personal/transportation expenses include personal items, laundry, some recreational activities and costs for limited local travel. This assumes the student has moderate spending habits, is not supporting a spouse or family and is well-supplied with clothing and other personal belongings. Transportation and telephone calls between Japan and another country are not included.

Living expenses for students who choose to live off campus vary depending upon the community surrounding the campus. Students should be aware that there are often additional costs associated with renting an apartment or house, such as advance payment of a security deposit and additional month's rent, and utility payments.

Financial Assistance

Information on Japanese Government Scholarship Program is available at the homepage of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan at http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0302e.html

Hokkaido University offers various opportunities to study. Hokkaido University has developed a special scholarship for the excellent, self-supported students who wish to study at our graduate schools. Also there are several scholarships available after coming to Japan. For detailed information, contact Office of International Affairs or visit the website at http://www.oia.hokudai.ac.jp/prospective-students/scholarships/.

Passports & Visas

Certificate of Eligibility

As an international student, you will be responsible for getting a passport and visas required for study in Japan. You will need a passport from your government and a visa from Japan Embassy/Consulate to enter Japan. To apply for a visa, take your passport and Certificate of Eligibility issued by Sapporo Immigration Office, the Ministry of Justice, Japan.

A Guide to Japanese Visa Application by Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Preparation for Arrival

The following information will assist you in planning and preparing for your arrival.

Fund If you were awarded a scholarship, please note that payments will not begin for at least one month after arrival, so bring funds to cover initial costs.

Access to Hokkaido University The nearest international airport is the New Chitose International Airport.
Allow 40-min ride from New Chitose Airport Station to Sapporo Station by train, and 10-min walk from the north exit to the Hokkaido University Main Gate.
Please refer to Hokkaido University's website for more information

After you reach Sapporo
・Meet your Academic Advisor.
・Find an apartment
・Resident registration
・Open your bank accounts
・Join the National Health Insurance
・Register for classes (if you have not done so already)
・Meet the staff in the Faculty Student Office to apply for getting your student ID card
・Set up your Hokkaido University email account
・Attend the mandatory orientation for International Students

Other Questions If you have any other questions before you arrive, please do not hesitate to e-mail us at kurokawa@sci.hokudai.ac.jp.

Living & Housing


Welcome to Hokkaido University! One of the first concerns you may have when you decide to attend HU is, where will I live? The University operates residence halls including all-female and all-male dormitories for single students and co-ed halls for single students and married students on campus, but these accommodations are limited in number and require early application.

Other types of housing are also available. Most students live in private homes, apartments and rooming houses. Some of the students live with other students and share expenses. The University Coop can provide you with information about private housing.

Admission to the University does not guarantee your assignment to on-campus housing. If you want to live on campus, you should apply for University housing about 3 month before each semester through your supervising professor.

On-campus Accommodations

The university owns and operates both single and family student housing units. Admission to the University does not automatically reserve housing for you. A separate application must be submitted through your supervising professor.

A room in the residence hall is basically equipped with a single bed, locker, fridge, heater, curtain, and a desk. You will need to furnish your own telephone, sheets, pillow, towels and other personal items which can be purchased in Sapporo.

Off-campus Accommodations

In the event that (1) university housing is not available, (2) time does not allow you to submit a housing application, or (3) you prefer not to live on campus, please plan to arrive in advance to secure off-campus housing. You should be prepared to pay for hotel until appropriate housing is secured.

On-campus housing is available by applying to the International Affairs Department. Off-campus housing is available, but you will need to make your own arrangements after you arrive. We will try to find another student to assist you.

Weather and Clothing

You may have heard about the cold weather that Sapporo experiences, but don't let that scare you! Most international students adapt well to living with the snow and even think it is something fun to experience! It is recommended that you bring warm clothing such as sweaters, jackets, boots, hats and gloves. If you cannot purchase this clothing ahead of time, you should bring additional funds to buy winter clothing in Sapporo. It is not always cold in Sapporo. The spring and fall seasons are moderate and summer gets very warm.


All new international students enrolling for the first time at HU are REQUIRED TO ATTEND THE ORIENTATION offered by the International Student Center. Important information will be discussed at this session that will help you be successful and avoid problems later. It is schedule in mid-April and mid-October.


Japanese Language Courses at the International Student Center (ISC) offers several courses to improve your Japanese language ability for living daily lives in Sapporo.These courses are offered quarterly or each semester. Online application period starts a couple of weeks prior to each course.

Application is accepted only via the internet at https://www.global.hokudai.ac.jp/current-students/japanese-language-support-2/.

For your study, supervising professors are all capable of communicating in English language. You can discuss with them in English as well as in Japanese.

Health care & Insurance

University campus has Health Administration Center that provides basic health check-ups and emergency medical treatment. Because of high health care costs, you must have adequate health insurance coverage.

You are advised to bring a medical history with you describing previous illnesses and/or surgery. Be sure to bring records of all immunizations, including those received in childhood.

Health Insurance All international students must pay an annual fee of about ¥20,000 for the National Health Insurance program (which is called "Kokuho"). You can choose to pay your fees monthly. Apply at a city ward office where you live.

Accident Insurance Plans The acquisition of both Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education Research “Gakkensai” and Disaster and Accident Insurance for Injuries to Other People “Gakkenbai” are a condition of registration for all international students at the University. These accident insurance plans are available at the University Co-op.


We welcome highly motivated students in our laboratory for research. If you are interested in studying in our laboratory, please contact:
Dr. Takayuki KUROKAWA
Laboratory of Soft & Wet Matter
Graduate School of Life Science, Hokkaido University
North 21 West 11, Kita-ku, Sapporo 001-0021 Japan
E-mail: kurokawa@sci.hokudai.ac.jp

*Please don't forget to inform us about when you want to start your study, which you want to study, Maters or PhD, and whether you are thinking of applying for a fellowship listed above.